Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Response to August 25, 1991

Charlie,
I am writing this letter in hopes that one day you will feel open enough to share who you are with me. That way, I can share some of my thoughts and advice to help you through this tumultuous time. I will, however, do my best to simply listen, understand, and be available to you if you need me.
From your letter, I could tell that you feel pent up frustration and confusion with all of the terrifying events that have scarred you at a young age. The idea of death is not really something we consider on a daily basis unless we are touched by it personally, as you were. I deeply regret that you had to experience such an unexplained loss of someone so close in age to you. I hope that your letters help you find the answers you are looking for, and provide you with a peace of mind along the way.
I understand feeling both happy and sad simultaneously. It feels as if the sky is split between a breathtaking sunrise and a dark, menacing thunderstorm. You want to walk away and embrace the beauty of a new day, but you can hear the crashing thunder and feel the pounding winds against your back when you turn away from the darkness that chases you. You must confront the darkness for it to lose it's power over you. Confronting it is best when you have someone there to help you through it, and I can be that person if you need me to.
I promise to read every letter you send, and I hope that in time you will overcome this storm and embrace the waiting sunrise.

Waiting with an umbrella,
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. I love your use of description here, Ashley. I find it significant for the emotions this book brings about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, that was beautiful. I have to note your voice in this letter. A calm, composed, and eager listener shines through your words. I think you were going for that, so kudos! Also, at first I thought, although you storm metaphor worked really well and you infused it into the remainder of the letter well, it confused me. I changed my mind though! Your language throughout the metaphor is complex and sets itself off from Charlie's simplistic syntax. It makes you look more authoritative and wise in comparison. I love the persona you established! If I was Charlie and received this letter, I would not feel alone.

    ReplyDelete